Houses began to appear in the area known as Forest Lane Head as early as the start of the 1700s. In the 1750’s, Blind Jack Metcalfe routed his turnpike road through here crossing the Star Beck precisely at the point of the old Stokkebrigmyre. Then twenty years or so later the forest of Knaresbough was enclosed. The springs fell into private hands and then rapid demise. Fine houses began to appear beside the road but Starbeck was still not important enough to be termed as a community.
In 1811 the Harrogate Workhouse opened just on the border of the Harrogate and Knaresborough townships.
In 1822 the people of Knaresborough resolved to restore and reopen the mineral springs and within a year Starbeck was receiving visitors again. Soon the Star Inn was ready to accept those for who long-term water treatment was necessary. But Starbeck was no more than a Hamlet.
Then came the railway, a station to serve Harrogate opened in 1848 soon to be followed by extensive goods facilities and an engine shed and shunting yard.